If one or more of the following applies to you, then this article has a lot to offer to you:
- You have written a traditional book, and are thinking about publishing it as an ebook.
- You are thinking about publishing a new book, and think that starting with an ebook would be quicker and cheaper.
- You have a web site, blog, or podcast and you want to offer your audience downloadable documents.
- Kindles and ebooks are the new hot thing and you want to get in on the action.
- I barely knew anything about ebooks other than they existed.
- I didn't feel like spending a lot of time, or much money, learning how to publish an ebook
If you take the next step and actually create a book (it doesn't have to be either very good or very long, so go ahead and put something together), give lots of copies to friends, relatives, or anyone else who will give you some feedback about it.
After you get some feedback and edit or even rewrite sections of the book, go ahead and put it on sale. If you use the Smashwords distribution system, you can even give it away for free, and have Smashwords track your downloads. The great thing about Smashwords is that they turn your book into a version suitable for every kind of ebook reader. They will even turn it into a PDF document.
At AirSafe Media, I took one previously published book and turned it into an ebook, and created two other ebooks in a matter of days. One was based on existing online articles, and a second based on a training manual I made for another purpose. All three are available for free download, and I made them available as a PDF file and in versions that could be read in a Kindle, iPad, or in an ereader or smartphone.
If you want to go a step further, after you become familiar with the Smashwords process for creating ebooks, check out the the free book Publish on Amazon Kindle with Kindle Direct Publishing from Amazon. If you have something is good enough to sell, go ahead and try Amazon. The worst thing that could happen is that you will make some money.
Speaking of money, I paid nothing to use the Smashwords system, and nothing to use Amazon Direct Publishing. You have no excuses, go publish something.
Smashwords Author page for Todd Curtis
Amazon.com Author page for Todd Curtis